Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The international dateline?

Somebody somewhere had the genius idea to create the International Date Line. Not like a hotline for dating (which might have been more helpful) but "an imaginary line which offsets the date as one travels east or west of it". Thank you, Wikipedia. Because of the big imagination of some child who probably had a great elementary school teacher, we missed New Years Eve. Now this didn't throw me off too much other than I was really sleepy after flying for 14 hours and then dealing with a 16 hour time difference. But I realized that I had never made any new goals for 2009 (because to me, it was not 2009 yet!)

Thank goodness we were able to start our 2009 with Chinese New Year. It gave me the time and the motivation to make some sort of resolution. I thought long and hard about them and realized that the resolutions that first popped up in my brain were just the typical "I make these every year and probably will for the rest of my life" kind of resolutions. So instead of re-making resolutions, I resolved to actually do them. Of course, this doesn't mean that I am going to...
  • loose 15 pounds
  • stop biting my nails
  • wear actual jeans more often
  • fit into my size 5 jeans
  • get a 4.0
  • stop cracking my knuckles
  • give up chocolate
  • write thank you cards for presents
  • make my bed everyday
Because not doing these things have become part of me! And maybe someday, completing them will become part of me.

But for 2009, I, Stacey Kathleen Mork, resolve to be more satisfied with life and with the unalterable circumstances that come up. I don't mean to give up reachable goals but more to love and focus on the important things. I intend to let forgive quickly, call home frequently, read continually, dance ridiculously, pray always, sing loudly, laugh often, smile more, exercise for fun, and to continue to work on my life list. [see below]




This was started a very long time ago while still in GATE in the fourth grade and continues to grow. Feel free to guess which ones are done, at work, and in the future! (And there is at least one that is never happening)

The Life List
  • obtain a pilot's license
  • climb Half Dome
  • visit Greece
  • read all the appropriate 100 best books
  • dive in a submarine
  • eat enough vegetables and fruits daily for at least a week
  • go to full-time GATE
  • be Student Body President
  • fall in love
  • drink enough water everyday
  • teach in a different country
  • try to surf
  • get a perm
  • own original artwork
  • play a famous work on the piano
  • own all the Laura Ingalls Wilder books again
  • and then read them all with my children
  • get married and love it.
  • be a camp counselor
  • wear sunscreen
  • get into Brigham Young University
  • build a house
  • be Prom Queen
  • hide a duck in someone's bathroom
  • make a Halloween costume
  • donate hair to Locks For Love
  • visit the Northern Lights
  • stop drinking soda for one year
  • become a mother
  • set off fireworks
  • train my own dog
  • visit the birthplace of my mother
  • write a book (even if no one reads it)
  • play a team sport
  • visit Canada
  • speak to my children in another language
  • own a house
  • visit the village where my grandmother grew up
  • go to a traditional Jewish seder
  • learn to scuba dive
  • fork someone's lawn
  • pass on my Chinese traditions
  • get a degree
  • sleep on a trampoline
  • cook like my grandmother
  • make my own pasta
  • get up on water skis for more than 2 seconds
  • fly in a hot air balloon
  • go skiing
  • put all my journal entries in a book
  • live in a French speaking country
  • ride an elephant
  • teach preschoolers
  • shoot a rifle and a handgun
  • sled
  • read every verse of every scripture
  • visit Denmark and Scotland
  • make over $50,000 in one year (a task for a teacher)
  • whale watch
  • fix my own car
  • compose a book of my parents' wisdom
  • pray everyday
  • go on a cruise with my sister
  • camp under the stars with friends
  • horseback ride on the beach
  • visit Hong Kong with my sister and mom
  • go orienteering
  • create an entire meal out of food I have grown myself
I encourage you to write a life list. And then go do it.

To 2009!

No comments:

Post a Comment